Welcome to East Preston
East Preston is a village and civil parish in the Arun District of West Sussex, England. It lies roughly halfway between Littlehampton and Worthing.
East Preston comprises the following residential areas. From east to west these settlements are: Kingston Gorse, West Kingston, Angmering on sea, East Preston Village and The Willowhayne.
The original village school building nowadays houses our Cooper Adams East Preston office! It was built in 1840 and started as a Sunday School funded by George Olliver. He received a reward for reporting a farm labourer (Edmund Bushby) for igniting a hayrick for moving the hay about efficiently. The labourer burned the hayrick in protest against farm machinery replacing manual labour. Bushby was subsequently hanged. Over time the building was enlarged into the village school until it was given to Sussex County Council in 1940. There were four classrooms, one very large room, having a curtain divided it into two. There were two separate playgrounds. This building remained as the village school until 1951 when the new school in Lashmar Road was opened.
The famous stage and film actor, Stanley Holloway is buried, together with his wife, at the parish church of St Mary the Virgin having lived in nearby Angmering for many years Another county dignitary resident in the parish was Charles Boughton-Leigh (1944-2012).